Northern Sun Coach Survey – John Manganaro

Wayne State1

This is my 8th entry in my series of questionnaire responses I received from coaches in the Northern Sun Conference.

John Manganaro has been head coach of the Wayne State Wildcats for the past 17 seasons.  He has a lifetime record of 461-294-1 but even more impressive is his Northern Sun Conference (NSIC) record.  The Wildcats joined the NSIC in 1999 and since that time Manganaro’s team has a .774 winning percentage against conference opponents, has won 5 regular season titles, 5 NSIC Tournament titles and have made it to the NCAA Tournament 6 of the past 8 years.  In 2008, his team was 40-13 marking the 3rd time the Wildcats have amassed 40+ wins.  Pitching has been the hallmark of Wayne State’s success as 7 of the past 9 NSIC Pitchers of the Year have been Wildcats.  Coach Manganaro’s team has once again been picked to finish first in the preseason NSIC coaches poll.  John Manganaro Bio

1. In what area(s) are you looking for your team to make the biggest improvement over 2008?

Defense and Baserunning

2. What newcomers to your team look like they will make the biggest impact?

Catcher : John Plasha  Infielders: Brandon Polk, Eric Bond, Jake Ritzdorf  Pitchers:  Josh Voth, Austen Wisroth, Trenton Lee, Eric Schwieger, Matt Meier John Bothwell

3. What’s your philosophy regarding recruiting out of high school vs. college transfers?

We like to have our squad made up of 75% high school recruits and the other 25% JC Transfers 

4. What Northern Sun team do you consider to be your schools biggest rival?

Every team on our schedule is our rival … my personal rival is my buddy; Coach Kyle Poock 🙂 from somewhere in MN

5. Who has been the biggest influence on your coaching philosophy and/or career?

The guy who hired me to be his assistant .. Lenny Klaver, Lenny made it clear, ” the only way to be successful is to try to do and teach the right things all the time”  and all of my current and former assistants coaches and players. 

The Northern Sun Baseball Blog would like to thank John Manganaro for taking time out of his schedule to answer these questions.

Advertisements

1 Response to “Northern Sun Coach Survey – John Manganaro”


  1. 1 Russ Radden October 29, 2009 at 12:56 am

    I believe I was John Manganaro’s teacher in Bremerton Washinton in the late 60’s.. Always had an interest in his life.

    Please forward to him if you know his e-mail address

    Respectfully,

    Russ Radden
    rdradden@juno.com


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Daily Posts

February 2009
M T W T F S S
    Mar »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  

%d bloggers like this: